Winter Training - Begins January 16!
Ready or not, the 2018 Track & Field season is just around the corner. Will you be ready? Preseason training begins Tuesday, January 16th at Clark College in Vancouver, WA.
Whisper Group Training Highlights:
- Three training days each week: Tuesday's 6-7:30pm at Clark College, Thursday's 6-7:30pm at McKenzie Stadium and/or Shahala Middle School (contract still in the works), and Saturday's 9-11am at Clark College.
- Multiple Pacers leading each group to learn pace, rhythm, cadence, and self-control.
- Multiple Coaches overseeing runners gate, exertion levels, and overall safety.
- Video Analysis to educate runners on appropriate running technique to build more efficient runners.
- Cross-Training twice each week (most weeks) to ensure stronger, pliable muscles, which in turn allows for greater volume and intensity within training practices and, more importantly, prevents injury.
- Psychological Skills Training to help cultivate a healthy/healthier relationship with running, enhance confidence, and create an intentional focus at each practice.
- Save $$$! The Middle School nine-week training package saves over $80 when compared to purchasing the RUNCARD. The High School six-week package saves over $35 when compared to purchasing the RUNCARD.
- All runners will receive a knit hat, running gloves, a shirt, and regular high-fives!
- READ MORE below!
SUCCESS IS BUILT IN THE PRESEASON
The six- and nine-week training programs are designed to prepare you for the 2018 Track season. Because the high school season begins in late February, high school runners should enroll in the six-week training program, whereas middle school runners should enroll in the nine-week program. Both programs are designed to prepare your physical fitness, as well as teach young runners how to train. There are millions of coaching philosophies, and they all work. The question is: Which training approach works best for you?
Whisper training has some of the best Coaches and Pacers in the Vancouver-metro area. Our coaches provide constructive, rational feedback for every runner, which is based off of their education and experience as competitive runners and successful coaches. Our staff is highlighted by Coach Bob Williams, who is the the Head Coach at Clark College. Coach Bob specializes in coaching distance runners. He ran cross country and track, competing in the 3,000M steeplechase at NCAA Division I power house University of Oregon. He had the honor of being mentored by famed coach and Nike, Inc. co-founder Bill Bowerman, as well as Olympian, Bill Dellinger. After leaving Oregon, Williams earned his Bachelors in Health Education from Portland State University. He went on to teach health and sciences classes while helping coach a state champion cross country team at Scappoose High School. He also coached the wrestling team at Rainier High School prior to beginning his 25-year career at St. Helens High School.
Whisper also offers Pacers as part of the training program. Pacers are seasoned runners who are fit and fast, and they lead their respective groups of runners at each practice. There are typically two to four Pacers at any given practice, who then lead groups of 5-15 runners, depending on attendance. Pacers this Winter include Micah Goff of Union High School, Serena Smith also of Union, Paige Neff of Camas High School, and Vancouver native, Jesse McChesney, who has accumulated running accolades from the 800m through the 10k, Right in the middle of them all stands a firm 14:53-minute 5k.